It's that time of year again, when magazines and bloggers release their best-of lists. While I didn't read too many books cover to cover in 2011, what with my time taken up by various other pursuits, I do want to mark the occasion of five years of Discerning Reader as an online book review site by posting such a list.
Founded in 2007 by author and blogger Tim Challies, a good handful of reviewers have contributed much food for thought and fodder for reading over the years. While most of them have since moved on to bigger, better, and other pursuits, this site remains committed to reviewing and recommending books for the growing Christian.
Any attempt of mine to compile a best of 2011 would be immediately compromised by the fact that I don't tend to read new books as a matter of course. So I hereby humbly offer a personalized Top 5 Books of the Past 5 Years for general Christian readers, in no particular order.
1. A Quest for More: Living for Something Bigger Than You by Paul David Tripp (New Growth Press, 2007)
2. God is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself by John Piper (Crossway Books, 2011)
3. What is God? An Investigation into the Perfections of God's Nature by Robert Reymond (Mentor/Christian Focus, 2007)
4. Rethinking Worldview: Learning to Think, Live, and Speak in This World by J. Mark Bertrand (Crossway Books, 2007)
HONORABLE MENTIONS (three books that fit more of a niche but warrant inclusion in a best-of list)
6. Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God by Bob Kauflin (Crossway, 2008)
8. My Name is Russell Fink: A Novel by Michael Snyder (Zondervan, 2008)